There’s nothing like riding a motorcycle through the scenic roads of California. It’s an exhilarating experience for anyone with a taste for thrill—and it’s even better when you have a pal by your side. When you’re sharing that experience with a passenger, however, considering their safety and protection is essential. Before you head on your journey, we’ll discuss whether motorcycle insurance covers passengers in California and the key factors to consider when you’re purchasing motorcycle insurance.
Motorcycle Insurance Basics
Motorcycle insurance provides financial protection in case of accident, theft, or damage involving your motorcycle. It typically covers liability, which pays for the other party’s medical expenses and property damage if you’re responsible for an accident. However, this basic coverage may not include passenger protection.
Motorcycle Insurance in California
So does motorcycle insurance cover passengers in California? The state does not automatically require motorcycle passenger coverage in insurance policies. However, you can still add this optional coverage to your policy. Since the Golden State has plenty of twisty roads and unique traffic situations, you may want to consider adding these passenger coverages to your policy for peace of mind:
- Medical payments coverage: This option covers medical expenses for you and your passengers, regardless of who is at fault. This coverage also pays for any necessary hospitalizations, surgeries, and rehabilitation.
- Passenger liability coverage: Some motorcycle insurance policies may include only liability coverage for the rider, so choosing a policy that extends coverage to the passenger is essential. Passenger liability coverage addresses the costs associated with injury to your passenger.
Key Factors When Purchasing Motorcycle Insurance
Unfortunately, finding affordable insurance is always easy, especially if you live in a congested area of California. When you’re searching for motorcycle insurance online, keep the following factors in mind:
- Passenger coverage options: Remember to ask about the availability and cost of passenger coverage when getting a quote from the insurance company.
- Deductibles: Compare the deductibles for each policy option, as higher deductibles could lead to lower premiums but may require more out-of-pocket expenses for you and your passenger in case of an accident.
- Discounts: Some insurers offer discounts for bundling multiple policies, taking educational courses, or being part of a motorcycle club. Be sure to inquire about these discounts when shopping around.
Protect Your Passengers on the California Roads
Passenger coverage is not automatically included in California motorcycle insurance policies, but keeping your passenger’s safety in mind is important. When purchasing your motorcycle insurance, consider adding additional coverage to your policy to ensure your passengers will be financially safe from all liabilities. You can find affordable motorcycle, auto, home, and other insurance policies here at Saferoad Insurance. Give us a call today for a free insurance quote.